Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Homemade pasta sauce, HEALTHIFIED!


So in my search for a tomato sauce to put on my pasta, not eating ANY sugars, I was very discouraged by what's available at the grocery store. I'm not the type to let sauce simmer all day, I like things quick, so that's why I developed the following recipe.
When choosing a pasta, I always use either whole wheat or brown rice pasta. White flour and white rice pasta is just "filler food," no nutrients. Why eat something if it's not nutritional? I definitely don't.
Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp. grapeseed or olive oil (or any other oil you'd like to use)
- one medium-large onion, chopped (I like to use Vidalia onions because they're sweet)
- one medium-large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced into half inch cubes
- 1-2 lbs. of ground chicken or diced chicken breast, cooked
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1 six ounce can tomato paste
- Whole wheat or brown rice pasta
To begin, start water for pasta. While that is going on, you will be making your sauce. On high heat, pour oil into large saute pan and add garlic, onions, peppers, spices and (optional) salt. Once veggies start to sizzle, turn heat down to medium high. Let cook for about 10 minutes, tossing every minute or so, or untl veggies start to get tender. Turn heat down to medium, then add in diced tomatoes. Let cook for another 10 minutes or until tender, tossing every minute or so. Then add in cooked chicken and tomato paste, and keep the heat on medium, until everything is nice and hot.
Let cool for a few minutes and serve on top of pasta.

1 comment:

  1. I truly agree with you, we have to try to eat something nutritional because our diets are becoming worse as the days go by. Pasta can be healthy depending on what you add to it. When I was in one of those buenos aires apartments in my trip to Argentina, I learnt how to cook it in a better way that can have healthier ingredients.
    Now I eat it daily!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete